Gallstones are hard deposits that form in the gallbladder. The gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ that stores bile, a fluid that helps with digestion. Bile is made in the liver and released into the small intestine to help break down fats.
There are two main types of gallstones: cholesterol stones and pigment stones. Cholesterol stones are the most common type and are made up of cholesterol. Pigment stones are made up of bilirubin, a substance that is produced when red blood cells break down.
The exact cause of gallstones is not known, but there are a number of factors that can increase your risk of developing them, including:
- Being overweight or obese
- Having a family history of gallstones
- Being female
- Being over the age of 40
- Eating a high-fat diet
- Losing weight quickly
- Taking certain medications, such as steroids
Gallstones often don’t cause any symptoms. However, if a gallstone blocks the bile duct, it can cause pain in the upper right abdomen. This pain can be sudden and severe, and it may last for several hours. Other symptoms of gallstones can include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
If you have gallstones, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove the gallbladder. This is the most effective treatment for gallstones, and it typically relieves symptoms. There are two main types of surgery for gallstones:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: This is a minimally invasive surgery that is performed through small incisions in the abdomen.
- Open cholecystectomy: This is a more traditional surgery that is performed through a larger incision in the abdomen.
In some cases, your doctor may recommend medications to dissolve gallstones. However, these medications are not always effective, and they can take several months to work.
Homeopathic treatment is best for curing gallstones. There are more than 50 medicines for treating gallstones. The homeopath may prescribe any of the medicines. Frequently prescribed medicines are – Bell, Calc, Card-m, Chel, Chin, Merc, Nat-s, Phos.
If you have gallstones, it’s important to see your doctor to discuss your treatment options. With proper homeopathic treatment, you can usually live a normal, healthy life.
Following tips can help prevent gallstones:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, especially a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy diet that is low in fat and cholesterol.
- Avoid all types of fast food.
- Check if any medications you are taking are increasing the risk of gallstones and stop them.