Dengue is a mosquito-borne illness that is common in tropical and subtropical climates. It is caused by a virus that can be transmitted through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. There are four different types of dengue viruses, and infection with one type does not provide immunity to the others.
Most people who get dengue will not have any symptoms, or will only have mild symptoms. However, some people can develop severe dengue, which can be life-threatening.
The symptoms of dengue can vary depending on the severity of the infection. Mild dengue typically includes the following symptoms:
- High fever (40°C/104°F)
- Severe headache
- Pain behind the eyes
- Muscle and joint pains
Severe dengue can include the following symptoms:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Persistent vomiting
- Difficulty breathing
- Bleeding from the nose, gums, or eyes
- Low blood pressure
If you develop any of the symptoms of dengue, it is important to see a doctor immediately. There is no specific treatment for dengue, but supportive care can help to relieve symptoms and prevent complications. As a holistic treatment method, homeopathic treatment is best for dengue.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent dengue, including:
- Avoiding mosquito bites:
- Wear long sleeves and pants when you are outdoors, especially during dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Use insect repellent that contains DEET or picaridin.
- Apply repellent to exposed skin and clothing, and reapply as directed.
- Sleep under a mosquito net if you are sleeping in an area where dengue is common.
- Eliminating mosquito breeding grounds:
- Empty standing water from buckets, flowerpots, and other containers.
- Repair any holes in screens or windows.
- Keep your yard free of debris that can collect water.